James DeCamp Photography
Commercial Photographer and Owner, Ohio, 1979 – present.
James DeCamp photography is a full service, editorial, corporate and advertising photography studio.
While working mainly in digital format; the studio still has film capabilities with extensive experience in formats from 35mm to 8×10.
Studio and location experience includes advertising, architecture, executive portraiture, product illustration, public relations, photojournalism, sports, time-lapse, Virtual Reality tours, product, food, conceptual illustration photography, annual report, video, and stock photography.
Award-winning cutting edge photographic techniques, including High Dynamic Range (HDR) captures, Time-lapse photography, and high quality Panorama photography.
Premier post-production expertise.
Clients include: Longaberger, Wendy’s, Federal Heath, Flying Horse Farms, Columbus Regional Airport Authority, Columbus Police Department, Columbus Fire Department, ThisWeek Newspapers, The Columbus Dispatch, WBNS-TV, State of Ohio Bureau of Workers Compensation, etc.
The Columbus Dispatch
Staff Multimedia Photojournalist, Columbus, Ohio, 1998 – April 2009.
Freelance Photojournalist/Scanning Technician, Columbus, Ohio, 1995-1998.
Responsible for covering news, sporting events, and features on a state wide level for local publication in a daily newspaper with a paid circulation of more than 325,000 (Sunday).
Implemented standards and troubleshooted procedures for wirelessly transmitting digital images prior to the existence of wide spread hi-speed networks, allowing for the meeting of critical deadlines.
Researched, developed and integrated effective strategies to monitor and track public safety department responses to emergency situations in the city of Columbus, Franklin and surrounding counties.
Researched, wrote and designed a user friendly operations manual that is currently in use by Dispatch editorial employees and a local TV station to coordinate the coverage of breaking news more effectively.
Consistently won awards from the ONPA, NPPA, and SPJ for news photography, often ranking in the ‘top 25′ photojournalists’ in the state.
Coordinated photographers coverage of sporting events and performed lay out and design of zoned pages meeting demanding deadlines.
Often volunteered to give presentations about the Dispatch to local clubs, high schools and other organizations to promote the newspaper and educate the public with a better understanding of the news process.
Trained new stringers and interns about the photography department’s procedures and use of equipment.
Many published photos of general news, spot news and features resulted from self-initiative rather than general assignments.
Sunday In America
Freelance Photojournalist, Nationwide, 1997.
- Chosen to join a select nationwide group of photographers to participate in the creation of a “Day In The Life of America” style book.
- Sunday in America was a pictorial representation of faith and family as 75 talented photographers captured images of people at worship throughout America with multiple images of my finished work published in a coffee style book “Sunday in America: 75 Photographers Celebrate Faith and Family” (Hardcover) by Zondervan Publishing, first run of 500,000 copies in Fall, 1997.
Versacolor Custom Imaging Lab
Digital Imaging Manager, Columbus, Ohio, 1995 – 1996.
- Developed, recommended and integrated new procedures and policies to streamline clients work flow including ability to allow clients to submit files via the internet (first in Columbus).
- Performed digital manipulation on photographs ranging from simple background extraction and restoration to complete rebuilding, merging multiple images together and manipulation to create photo montages.
- Responsible for IBM and Macintosh cross platform color calibration between Solitaire and Sapphire film image recorders, HP DisplayMaker inkjet plotters and other output devices.
- Researched, recommended, purchased and integrated new workstations into daily operating environment.
- Maintained and troubleshooted small local area network with multiple platform compatibility.
Media Relations/Publicity Director, Columbus, Ohio, 1994 – 1995.
- Responsible for contacting regional news media to promote event, including personal radio and TV interviews.
- Created monthly newsletters, flyers and posters for distribution to more than 2000 area churches resulting a 175% increase in participation over the previous year.
- Coordinated live remote broadcast of event with local radio station WRZR-FM.
Staff Photojournalist & Electronic Imaging Technician, Columbus, Ohio, 1990 – 1995.
- Scanned images for electronic pagination insertion for 24 weekly newspapers.
- Responsible for training new employees in departmental procedures and in the proper use of Photoshop.
- Personally responsible for more than 40% of all scans for the department (personal average 300+/week).
- Created work flow forms and helped establish internal working procedures for smooth flow of electronic images from 35mm and other mediums to pre-press.
- Responsible for ordering supplies and inventory for the photography department and darkroom.
- Photographed news, sporting events and features for 25 weekly newspapers.
- Personally responsible for more than 80% of all spot news gathered for the papers.
- Help to define internal working procedures and goals within the company and department.
- Designed and laid out photo pages for many editions.
- Often responsible for scheduling assignments for the four staff photographers and more than 20 freelancers.
Chief Photographer, Lancaster, Ohio, 1989 – 1990.
- Supervised and directed a three man photography staff covering a five county area.
- Designed, photographed and coordinated photo pages for the Sunday editions.
- Played an integral role in changing the newspaper’s attitude regarding “set-up” photos.
- Oversaw the production of all images, from camera shutter, to half-toning, paste-up and press run quality control.
Staff Photojournalist, Lancaster, Ohio, 1988 – Promoted, 1989.
- Half-toned all photos prior to publication.
- Most assignments shot in color, many originated from self initiative, with an average of more than one wild art photo per day.
Responsible for all traditional duties of a staff editorial photographer and darkroom technician on a daily paper, as well as all advertising photography.
Photojournalist Intern, Columbus, Ohio, 1987 – 1988.
- Photographed local news, features and sporting events for publication.
- Many pictures and assignments originated from self initiative.
- Chosen to cover out-of-state sporting event.
Portrait Photographer, Columbus, Ohio, 1987.
- Experienced with 2 1/4 and 4×5 formats.
- Sold long term family and child portrait plans.
- Marketed an in-home child and family portrait service.
Videographer/Producer/Director, Athens, Ohio, 1986 – 1987.
Produced, directed, taped and edited video footage of local news for broadcast on a cable news station.
Videographer/Producer/Director, Athens, Ohio, 1986 – 1986.
- Produced, directed, taped and edited a 25 minute instructional videotape for use in training.
Videographer/Producer/Director, Athens, Ohio, 1986 – 1986.
- Produced, directed, taped and edited video footage of regional news for broadcast in a daily news program.
Photographic Technician, Athens, Ohio, 1984 – 1985.
Operated a 1 hour photo lab including performing customer relations and retail sales.
Freelance Photojournalist, Athens, Ohio, 1983 – 1987.
Covered news events in the southeastern Ohio area for weekly publication.
Janitor, Cincinnati, Ohio, 1982 – 1983.
What can I say, I cleaned an office building during Christmas break from OU.
Delivery Driver, Athens, Ohio, 1981 – 1982.
- Delivered pizza’s & subs to the most demanding (ungrateful and rude) of clientele (college students).
Freelance Photojournalist, Cincinnati, Ohio, 1981 – 1981.
- Covered events in the southeastern Ohio area for the AP network and out of state clients.
Freelance Photojournalist, Cincinnati, Ohio, 1980.
Covered news events in the Ohio / Indiana / Kentucky Tri-state area for daily publication
Freelance Photojournalist, Cincinnati, Ohio, 1979 – 1981.
Covered news events in the Ohio / Indiana / Kentucky Tri-state area for daily publication.
Retail Sales Clerk, Cincinnati, Ohio, 1979.
- Sat in a goofy little booth in the middle of a hot hot parking lot for 8-10 hours a day one summer – without air conditioning.