The Saint Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church in Shiner, Texas, one of the Texas Painted Churches photographed Wednesday August 3, 2016.
More images available in a gallery HERE.
On June 17, 1890, Father John A. Forest of Halletsville met with a group Catholic men to plan the building of a church in Shiner. Two acres of land were purchased from Moritz Richter, and the home of the Catholic Church in Shiner was established just east of the railroad tracks. A. Harbers drew the plans for the first church and contracted for the building, a structure 85 feet x 40 feet with a steeple 112 feet high. Construction began January 2, 1891, and was completed May 31, 1891. Father J.A. Forest blessed and dedicated the church on May 7, 1891 under the name of SS. Cyril and Methodius.
Rapid growth of the parish necessitated the building of a larger church. Father Wolf and architect E. Wahrenberger supervised the construction contractors as Vincent Falbo and M. Deodati of San Antonio began building one of the most magnificent Gothic structures between San Antonio and Houston. The cornerstone was laid in 1920, and the present church was blessed by Bishop Drossaerts on July 7, 1921. The structure is still known as one of the most eye-catching landmarks in South Central Texas with visitors from around the world stopping regularly to photograph and tour the church. Its beauty is enchanted by six late stained glass windows and a huge mural of Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane which overlooks the altar.